Tuesday, July 20, 2010

2010 best classic adaptation

Ayala Cinema1 July 17

Sorcerer’s Apprentice (2010)

My father just loathes Nicholas Cage. His reason? The same reason why I don’t like Regine V. Unknown.

So, I grew up having the least admiration for Nicholas cage too. But then came KickAss, which is I SWEAR is the most kickass movie I have ever seen. Best action movie of my 2010 list so far.

So, I read about remake of the SA last year. Saw the trailer and yeah, I actually liked it especially since Jay Baruchel took the lead role. I first saw him on Fanboys. Then came Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist and Tropic Thunder. He is awesome!

The film was actually a remake of Disney’s Fantasia of the same title. Fantasia, as I remember, was a collection of fantasy stories. But I think Mickey was the only prominent character I remember. I may have been about 5 or 6 when I first saw the Disney classic. I didn’t really liked it. who would ever want possessed brooms and mops cleaning and flooding your house?! But what I couldn’t forget about the classic flick was the soundtrack! Check it out.


So the 2010 version was equally amazing. Well, for people in the 40's the cartoon was probably out of this world, but for people in our time, the live action version may be unsurpassable. Nicholas Cage did an unseemingly fantastic job playing the role. After KickAss, I think I may have had the slightest admiration for the veteran. But what made the 2010 film kickass was Jay Baruchel. He was exactly what me and my brother pictured the Sorcerer’s Apprentice would be. Geek. Lazy. And incredibly Smart!!!

So let me spoil a few things.

The Tesla coil turned musical instruments (playing a song by Juan Republik) was amazing.

Monica Belucci, dude! Who would ever want to skip a movie with her in it!

And yes of course, the usual Hollywood ending, breakfast in France.

I have to rate the movie 5 (so was KickAss). Best remake of the year since Clash of the Titans wasn’t much of a remake and Last Airbender (I’ve heard) is an anticipated flop.

Jay Barcuhel of course. He’s my new Michael Cera!haha

This gave me the best laugh in the Movie. Unfortunately, I don’t think a lot of the viewers understood. Dave is played by Baruchel. Drake, played by Toby Kebbell, is like the typical Chriss Angel magician freak show something.

Dave Stutler: I don't actually know who you are.
Drake Stone: Really? You don't recognize me?

Dave Stutler: Are you in Depeche Mode?

No comments:

Post a Comment