Sunday, July 25, 2010

Inception

The top begins to wobble, but the scene cuts to black.



Two words. Total Genius! After I had heard numerous accounts of Inception being the most mind boggling movie of the month, I have instantly been curious.
Christopher Nolan's ingenuity has indeed preceded this film. He was the mind behind The Prestige which was indeed one of the movies I had to watch more than once to understand. I love the way Nolan plays around with science. The possibility of a science so confusing that it leaves either the characters of the film or the viewers themselves MAD!
Inception is not an exception. The story basically revolves around the manipulation of dreams to steal and plant information from and into another dreamer's subconscious. So the process is basically, in layman's term, a heist, where the "thieves" (DiCaprio and his team) were experiencing lucid dreams and the person that they had to plant or steal information from was not. Confused? I know! But you would somehow understand how the story unfolds when you watch it yourself.
Trust me, watching this film is like reading a book, you would not want to miss a page and when you wouldn't understand the later parts of the story, you'd be skimming your way to the previous pages. It's no wonder the film went straight to the 3rd spot in IMDB's top 250 film. So you might've guessed how I'd be rating this one!
Joseph GL was astounding! From the frustrated Tom in 500 Day of Summer to Di Caprio's righthand man. I totally loved his "smooth move" moment with Ellen Page's character.
Ellen Page was the architect of the dreams in the film. She played a very intelligent college student who was named after a mythological architect (Ariadne) who helped a hero escape from a nemesis' labyrinth.
I first knew Marion Cotillard when she played Edith Piaf. My father gave my gradmother Edith Piaf's collections album as a birthday present once, so when I heard that a movie was made retelling her story, i wanted to know who was playing the French singer's character. Then the next thing I knew, the actress playing Piaf won the Academy awards. Here she played a very significant role, so significant that she was named "Mal" Latin for Evil.
Cillian Murphy just like Christian Bale must be one of Nolan's favorites. Bale has played a role on Nolan's the Prestige and as we all know, Bale is the present caped crusader. Murphy played as Scarecrow in Batman Begins and he also landed a role as a billion-dollar heir in this one. And I guess so is Michael Cane from being Alfred in Batman to being DiCaprio's father-in-law in this one.
I've nothing to say about DiCaprio except that I thought he's become a goner in the industry, but he proved himself deserving to still being the "King of the World" when I saw this film.

I have yet to see this movie again. But I guess for this time being, it's best to advise others to watch it. The experience is indeed worth every penny!

No comments:

Post a Comment